Sunday, May 15, 2011

Reviewing: the "Putt" Man

So I went home last weekend and when my dad and I went to play tennis we saw one of his new accuaitances and hit with him. After telling him I was an Art major he was like oh my goodness you have to come to my house, so my Dad and I went over and I got acquaited with the work of Donald "Putt" Putman, his uncle. Let me tell you he had A LOT of artwork, all by his uncle hanging in every room. "Putt" is well known for his Western paintings that often feature cowboys, rodeos and indians ass well as a collection of circus and clown themed paintings. When I heard cowboys and indians, I've got to say that I wasn't chomping at the bit but once I saw the 30 or so original pieces hanging around his house I was. It's not the subject matter that makes "Putt" a distinguished artist its his wonderful mastering of color in his work. In a way I wish I hadn't seen the originals if his work first because no computer image can compare to the beautiful color. I was at "Putt"'s nephew's house for about an hour during which he explained to me family details regarding each piece and tried to give me an original sketch, because they were just hanging out in the garage(!) I of course said no because, well because thats what you do especially when he told me that celebrities like Burt Reynolds and Clint Eastwood had bought his work! So cool, I've never had such a personal experience with someone's art and even though he's no longer around to tell the stories(he passed away in 2007) I think his nephew has carried on the tradition with ease.

"Olvera Street Dancer"

DPP-highrider.jpg

"High Rider"

small_send-in-the-clowns.jpg

"Send in the Clowns" - I really wish the color translated better because the teal-tourquise of the elephants instantly became my favorite color, its so vibrant!

No comments:

Post a Comment