Saturday, April 9, 2011

ticking time in the gutter


I am definitely sensing what we’re going to be working on in the future with the readings this week. When McCloud talks about the onlooker’s role in a comic as to see and insert what actually isn’t there is very similar to Duchamp’s philosophy of the observer’s extremely active role in art. The closure we get within a comic piece talked about in chapter 3 is really interesting to think about, it’s amazing how much we piece together information that isn’t there (i.e. the gutter) on such a regular basis and how arbitrary it is to the way we work and yet it goes unnoticed. The six types of transitions in the panels of comics we’re really interesting to think of in terms of how other stories and sequences of action take place (i.e. in film, poetry, literature, television, plays, etc.)
How time is dealt with in comics was really interesting as well. First of all there’s a Duchamp reference and as he’s my new BFF I was happy. It’s amazing how comic artists manipulate time within each frame but in the end if we don’t read these clues we loose a ton of meaning within the comic. Is it just me or is McCloud introducing a lot of legit philosophy that I actually get? Why didn’t we read this in the one philosophy class that I took? I probably wouldn’t be as revolted by the subject as I am now. So props McCloud. Props.

No comments:

Post a Comment