Monday, April 4, 2011

meltingIDENTITYpot

I really enjoyed Kip's lecture today on Identity and what makes it up one's identity. When Kip was asking people "What are you?" I couldn't help but think, "I am what you perceive me to be and I help(i say help because you can't always control how you come across to someone) determine what version of myself you perceive" I have made many of the choices that have caused me to become the person I am today but so many other factors(or classifications as Kip put it) play a part in who I am. For example I often can come across as distance when people first meet me because I have a pre-conceived idea in me that people will not remember me which a attribute to going to 6 schools between k-12...anyways back to the lecture. I thought Kips examples and subject actually tied into last weeks reading quite nice with the way we become part of our surroundings in our minds and how ones identity is so simplified visually in ones own head but so complex otherwise.
Some of my favorite artist's featured today included:
Adrian Piper - though we didn't see much of her art I thought her "Calling Cards" were absolutely genius. I mean come on who wouldn't love to have the chance to straight up tell people what they have to say before any misunderstanding happens.
Cindy Sherman - I have loved Sherman for quite some time and I never get bored of seeing her work in various classes(though i'll admit I have grown a little weary of this particular image, i'd say her most famous, though I've seen this (one of my personal favorites)and this one quite a lot as well) Her work is something I think I would love doing, acting with everyone only able to see the final piece.
Untitled #175, 1987

Albert Chong - I also really like Albert Chongs mixed-media pieces. I love love love mixed media in general but the symbolism of his pieces just made everything so much more interesting.
Ok this picture is awesome but totally tripped me out at first because I thought the pollen were cut marks and I was thinking
there were some major family issues or something. Flowers. Much sweeter.

No comments:

Post a Comment