Monday, April 18, 2011

Mapping it out

lecture today was really interesting, I've come to think of what Kip referred to as maps as"codes" but I think I like "map" better, or even outlines, instruction manuals.
I liked Kip's statement that we compartmentalize the "incomprehensibles" in life, I completely agree, actually I think I compartmentalize my life a little too much, in that where ever I am I'm in that particular situation like 95% and its hard for me to keep track of outside that situation things(i.e when im in sb i'm sb jenny, when im home im home jenny...). I like thinking of my brain as a map actually, it makes a lot of since. ...ok tangent sorry, back to class.
So as humans:
  • we love the underdogs
  • we like the familiar, sequels, remakes, "borrowing", "quoting" from everything that is comfortable to us.
  • we want to remove ourselves from whatever subculture's we belong to...but not too much, god forbid we be different from one another.
  • we've grown a lot, especially over the past ehh century-ish... but boy do humans do a ton of fucked up things to one another.
  • we like looking to completely unrealistic models for body's so we can become self conscious and crazy people (ok maybe we dont like that but we're sure good at it...ok I'm becoming hostile towards the human race...again I digress...after wondering if you've seen these new Barbies... oy to the vey.
So back to maps...
"The Island" by Stephen Walter

this is my favorite map in the world, I saw it in person(it. is. huge.) at the British Museum last summer when I was visiting my sister. Its the city of London as an island, its really truly incredible. detailed images here and here

Also: I don't care if Sting went a little Madonna circa '97 on us, Desert Rose was a good song to come out of that, and I even vaguely like the music video even with the shameless Jaguar plugging and questionable self-video-recording. ...ok maybe its just bc it was shot in the mojave desert(where i live).

No comments:

Post a Comment